From: Ralph Seichter <gentoo@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: app-cdr/sync2d
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2020 01:59:27
1 * Christopher Head:
2
3 > Not that I care about this specific case, but isn’t the 30-day time
4 > period also meant as a nice long warning time for people [...]
5
6 Rules and exceptions. I think that shortening the typical 30-day period
7 is acceptable in specific cases, and sync2d is one of them. According to
8 Git history, the ebuild for release 1.3 (released 2007) was imported in
9 August 2015 and no functional changes have been made since then. There
10 were only meta data updates and stabilisations, and it all ended in
11 2017.
12
13 sync2d is unmaintained in Gentoo and based on Python 2, which, as we
14 know, was marked for "end of support 2015" which later was extended to
15 January 2020. Upstream had oodles of time to migrate to Python 3 if they
16 wanted to. If (!) any Gentoo users are still using sync2d today, they
17 also had ample time to choose an alternative. From all appearances,
18 sync2d has gone the way of the dodo.
19
20 Masking will not uninstall the package, and the sooner people can no
21 longer install sync2d without thought, the better, as far as I am
22 concerned.
23
24 -Ralph