From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC pre-GLEP] Gentoo Git Workflow
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2017 09:29:59
1 On Sat, Sep 9, 2017 at 3:47 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > W dniu pią, 08.09.2017 o godzinie 17∶19 -0400, użytkownik Rich Freeman
3 > napisał:
4 >>
5 >> FYI - if anybody does want to make any comments on the proposed
6 >> devmanual changes to implement the new tags please comment at:
7 >>
8 >> https://github.com/gentoo/devmanual.gentoo.org/pull/72
11 > The footers were discussed to death in this very thread. I've heard your
12 > opinions. However, as far as I'm concerned (and as I've pointed out) you
13 > did literally *nothing* to push your ideas forward for 2+ years.
16 So, you read something from my comment that I didn't write, and
17 ignored the stuff I did write.
18
19 In part this is my fault, because I used sarcasm out of frustration,
20 and that wasn't conducive to communication.
21
22 To be clear:
23
24 I expressed my opinions earlier in the thread as you pointed out.
25
26 I have no expectation that my particular suggestion would be the one
27 implemented. If I had felt THAT strongly about the implementation of
28 this I'd have put it on the Council agenda or something, or at least
29 would have discussed it in privately with you on IRC or something.
30 Instead, once I noticed that infra had implemented some of the tag
31 processing I switched to the format it appeared to be using in my
32 commits.
33
34 I don't expect anybody to wait for 100% consensus before doing
35 anything around here. I think I've made that clear in plenty of
36 posts. For significant changes there should be discussion on the
37 lists, and then the implementer should go forward with what they see
38 as the best implementation based on the feedback received. If
39 somebody has a problem with it then it should be their duty to
40 escalate it and deal with it, not make the maintainer jump through
41 extra hoops. Certainly we shouldn't be taking every change to the
42 Council.
43
44 My concern was entirely with the attitude expressed in your comment in
45 that pull request. If you had written "I don't think we need to go
46 back to gentoo-dev for this one because this specific proposal was
47 part of what was already posted there and none of the feedback really
48 suggests a major problem with this" it wouldn't have bothered me,
49 because as the person doing the work I think you should be afforded a
50 bit more discretion, and this was part of your proposal.
51
52 Sometimes posting on -dev elicits opinions we disagree with from
53 people who haven't done any of the work. That should neither paralyze
54 us, nor cause us to scoff at their suggestions. They're just words.
57 Rich