From: Marco Matthies <marco-ml@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Closing bugs [was: New Bugzilla HOWTO]
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 20:41:51
1 Nathan L. Adams wrote:
2 > Also, in the case were the 'fix' doesn't actually fix the bug, you waste
3 > alot more development time by letting it slip through and having to
4 > 'fix' it again later. So you can justify the time cost now, with time
5 > saved later.
6
7 Just think of it as branch prediction.
8 If the case you describe here truly were that common, we'd all be doomed
9 anyway, as that would mean the common case is developers closing bugs
10 without fixing them and users filing bugs but not being interested if
11 they're fixed.
12
13 > But then again, developer time *is* a very scarce resource. That's why I
14 > fielded the idea that the verification process only be required on
15 > things like Portage.
16
17 Yes, in a volunteer project such scrutinous QA will certainly only work
18 in a small domain, and is only really feasible for the most critical
19 components. On the other hand, IMHO, these components are already the
20 most thoroughly tested - I'd trust portage with brain surgery any day!
21
22 As a final note, I have enjoyed this conversation but I'm actually not
23 really qualified to talk about these matters as I'm not a gentoo dev, so
24 I'll refrain from more philosophizing - otherwise somebody might take me
25 up on that brain-surgery thing :)
26
27 Marco
28 --