From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: chithanh@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] force verbose build log as per PMS policy?
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 11:08:27
1 On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 12:24:12 +0200
2 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > hasufell schrieb:
5 > > When I sum that up again...
6 > > - we are on gentoo and need as much information as possible for
7 > > backtracing, resolving bugs, checking whether CFLAGS and such have
8 > > been respected
9 > > - no need to tell the user to recompile with
10 > > EXTRA_ECONF="--disable-silent-rules" or similar just to be able to
11 > > help him
12 > > - some QA checks might depend on verbose build log and are not yet
13 > > implemented therefor
14 > > - if people want nice build _output_ (not log), they can use
15 > > --quiet-build
16 >
17 > Sorry that I am late to the party, but I would add some concerns to
18 > this discussion.
19 >
20 > Verbose build logs are can be several times as large as non-verbose
21 > ones, which can run into our Bugzilla's attachment size limit. When a
22 > user is unable to attach the build.log file, typically one of the
23 > following happens:
24
25 About that -- maybe we should finally consider increasing it? Nowadays,
26 HTTP is able to handle transparent compression, so plain text logs are
27 pretty fine there.
30 Best regards,
31 Michał Górny