From: Travis Tilley <lv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Two requests for ebuild maintainers+writers
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:50:20
1 Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 25 August 2004 21:43, Travis Tilley wrote:
3 >
4 >>I have two requests that will help to make my work incredibly easy. ;)
5 >>
6 >>1) start using $(get_libdir) wherever possible instead of referencing
7 >>lib directly. get_libdir is now part of the eutils eclass and is used by
8 >>gen_usr_ldscript in eutils. so, where previously it had:
11 > One question abou this. Currently java archives are instaled in /usr/lib. They
12 > are obviously architecture independent. Should we still use $(get_libdir) for
13 > those, or is there maybe an independent dir.
14 >
15 > Paul
16 >
17 > ps. As a sidenote, wouldn't it be better to also make the /usr part dynamic?
18 > That makes package relocation fairly easy.
21 java is going to be stress if we have to support both a 64bit and 32bit
22 jre... especially since azureus needs a 64bit SWT to work and such. i'd
23 say that java stuff should probably not use $(get_libdir), or (almost)
24 anything that ends up in /opt. that is, indeed, a good question that i
25 hadnt thought of.
26
27 the chunk of the FHS that mentions lib64 notes that 64bit libraries
28 should go there... so if it isnt a library and lives in lib, you might
29 also not want to use $(get_libdir)... but that would all depend on how
30 jstubbs eventually implements multilib dependency handling in portage,
31 so it might just be safer to use $(get_libdir) even then to prevent file
32 collisions. at the very least, it shouldnt cause problems on
33 non-multilib systems since "$(get_libdir)" will always equal "lib" on
34 them, and you dont have to worry about collisions. ;p
35
36 *pokes jstubbs*
39 Travis Tilley <lv@g.o>
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list