From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] adding a code of conduct
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 02:28:40
1 Aron Griffis wrote: [Mon Apr 03 2006, 06:35:52PM CDT]
2 > This should be shortened to say just what it means: Developers will
3 > have more fun, be more productive, and create a better distribution if
4 > we concentrate on the issues instead of resorting to personal attacks.
5
6 Although I tend to agree with your comments about the quality of the
7 writing, it's worth noting that much of this document was swiped from
8 Ubuntu's code of conduct.
9
10 > This part makes sense, I think... though I don't see the point of
11 > codifying it except to "throw the book" at the next Paludis. Frankly
12 > I think Ciaran did nothing wrong to restrict distribution on a project
13 > he didn't feel was ready for public consumption. It has always seemed
14 > to me like the overreactions were the problem.
15
16 I think you're reading too much into that passage. It's from Ubuntu's
17 code of conduct, and it is essentially stating (part of?) their social
18 policy.
19
20 > > Repeated disruptive behaviors will be viewed as a security and
21 > > stability threat to Gentoo.
22 >
23 > Classic switching to the passive voice when the actor wishes to be
24 > distanced from the action. WHO will view these behaviors as
25 > a security and stability threat to Gentoo? Is this a statement the
26 > existing developers are making? The foundation? Infra?
27
28 Here I'll certainly agree. In fact, I agree with the rest of your
29 statements, so I can stop here.
30
31 -g2boojum-
32 --
33 Grant Goodyear
34 Gentoo Developer
35 g2boojum@g.o
36 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
37 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76