From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ${PORTDIR}/profiles/package.use
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 02:55:24
1 On Thursday 20 October 2005 10:47 pm, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On Thursday 20 October 2005 10:03 pm, Alec Warner wrote:
4 > >>Mike Frysinger wrote:
5 > >>>On Thursday 20 October 2005 05:47 pm, Petteri Räty wrote:
6 > >>>>Every once in a while I see people wanting to use nosomething use
7 > >>>> flags. Why don't we have a package.use like we already have a
8 > >>>> package.mask file? This would make it possible for developers to turn
9 > >>>> on use flags by default in a way that would not cruft the base
10 > >>>> profiles for every local use flag.
11 > >>>
12 > >>>i still dont see how this addresses the nocxx / USE=-*
13 > >>
14 > >>noFOO is used because "FOO" is on by default, and noFOO turns it off.
15 > >>AutoUSE is the same way, package bar is included in the buildplan and to
16 > >>have sane defaults, certain flags are turned on.
17 > >><snip>
18 > >
19 > > that was a great explanation however irrelevant it may have been
20 > >
21 > > i guess we will have to make 'nocxx' a special case as we strip all other
22 > > 'no*' USE flags from portage
23 >
24 > And we should keep the current shitty behavior to accomediate cxx why?
25 > What is so hard about USE="-* cxx"? Are there no other flags that do
26 > bad things when they aren't turned on via use.defaults and profiles?
27
28 i only said keep nocxx
29
30 there is nothing hard about USE="-* cxx" but while most here want to say 'fuck
31 the users' (and i'm inclined to agree), i'd rather not field those
32 bugs/questions/etc...
33 -mike
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list