From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Mozilla: Firebird-bin & Firebird-cvs
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 09:17:10
1 Georgi Georgiev wrote:
2
3 > On 28/05/2003 at 04:47:01(-0400), Kumba used 0.7Kbytes just to say:
4 >
5 >> Not all users are going to immediately know the different categories
6 >>offhand. I'd have to opt for the ability that if portage detected a
7 >>naming conflict, it'd show both matches + categories so the user would
8 >>know which one he/she wanted.
11 > And abort execution, right?
12
13 Yes, abort execution so the user could modify their parameter.
18 >> OTOH, calling it net-www/mozillafirebird isn't a bad idea. I don't
19 >>think we need caps in there, caps seems to be reserved for dev-perl
20 >>stuff only.
23 > Since the caps are used for splitting the two words, an extra dash would be
24 > needed instead of the caps. Concatenating the two makes it hard to read and personally, it would be hard for me to type.
25 >
26 > It would have been nice if the official distribution had a name gentoo could
27 > adopt, but looking at ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firebird/nightly/latest-trunk/
28 > one can see:
29 >
30 > Firebird-mac.dmg.gz
31 > MozillaFirebird-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz
32 > MozillaFirebird-win32.zip
33 >
34 > So we're back where we started. They have both "firebird" and "mozilla
35 > firebird".
38 I wish they'd just kept it "phoenix", but I heard the BIOS company
39 wanted to sue (must be desperate for cash like SCO). I also wonder if
40 the Mozilla people did do their homework before choosing "firebird" so
41 they atleast knew of another opensource project out there with the same
42 name.
43
44 Eitherway, yeah, net-www/mozilla-firebird sounds pretty good. bit
45 lengthy, but it's not the only one. I've a feeling we'ed need a
46 net-mail/mozilla-thunderbird in the future as well, just to keep
47 consistency.
48
49 --Kumba
55 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list