From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 19, reloaded (again)
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 17:52:05
1 On Wednesday 11 August 2004 18:05, Dylan Carlson wrote:
2 > A few cows moo'd that they didn't want time-based releases, though. For
3 > whatever reasons I can't fathom. It makes our release process more
4 > predictable for everyone, including developers.
5
6 Just remind those grazers the problems we had before we decided on this
7 date-based release scheme. While for somethings the stance of "it's ready
8 when it's ready" works. This is not true for such a dynamic animal as gentoo.
9
10 I also like the idea of coinciding normal releases with stable tree releases.
11 We could also merge the media. I guess I can trust you to make a reasonable
12 assesment on the posibility of doing this. For me a 6 months cycle is
13 probably better than 3 months. 3 months has shown to be too short for real
14 work. We could maybe alternatively provide a good manual (if we don't yet)
15 for users how to make their own releases / livecd's.
16
17 Paul
20 Paul de Vrieze
21 Gentoo Developer