From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: reduce conflicts, separate keywording from ebuilds
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 17:12:40
1 On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 15:37 +0100, Stefan Schweizer wrote:
2 > moving keywording only in the arch teams responsibility is the way to go
3 > imo because I hate having keywording bugs assigned to my herd where I
4 > can do nothing about it.
5
6 Uhh... so why *don't* you assign these to the arch teams?
7
8 Here's a good example... games. We get keyword requests all the time.
9 Sometimes, one of us has the time to test it right there, so we do and
10 we resolve the bug. EVERY other time, we defer it to the arch team,
11 almost immediately. If we're also members of that arch team, we might
12 come back later and do it ourselves, but it's really a job for the arch
13 team, and up to them to either do the work, or decide not to add
14 KEYWORDS and close the bug.
15
16 > > I am not sure how a) is going to work at all in
17 > > this respect. Are we going to get tons of ebuilds just sitting there never
18 > > made visible to any arch now (since even x86 would have a large backlog)?
19 >
20 > it can be automated to do this from the maintainer arch if the arch team
21 > wants it.
22
23 When will people get rid of this concept of "maintainer arch" ?
24
25 Not all maintainers only use one architecture. Not all ebuild
26 maintainers use the same architecture all the time. When I do a commit,
27 it could be from one of any of *eight* architectures. The number of
28 people using only one architecture is growing smaller. This is
29 especially true for the "top 10%" who do most of the commits. Go back
30 and look at who those people are, they're the same people that work on
31 *multiple* architectures.
34 Chris Gianelloni
35 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
36 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
37 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
38 Gentoo Foundation