From: Stefan Schweizer <genstef@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: reduce conflicts, separate keywording from ebuilds
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 14:41:53
1 George Shapovalov schrieb:
2 > a) move all the keywording into profiles (that is remove all KEYWORDS fields
3 > from all the ebuild) and disallow package maintainers and other devs (other
4 > than arch teams) to touch keywords
5 >
6 > or
7 >
8 > b) leave ebuilds with simple ~arch/arch/-arch (literally) keywords and move
9 > granular per-arch settings to profiles
10
11 the first one + maintainer arch is what I like to have. Other arches can
12 then go up to maintainer arch automatically(with a bot) for ~arch and
13 manually for arch or define their own policies like they want.
14
15 > or something else? Even then I am not sure how either of these is going to
16 > work, especially this:
17 >> The arch team can then decide themselves which ebuild they want to mark
18 >> ~arch and they can take care of possible new dependencies themselves.
19 >
20 > normally new versions/packages go directly into ~arch unless they are
21 > transiently masked by developer (waiting for release, etc) or are permanently
22 > masked live-cvs/svn ones.
23 The particular case is about having new depends in new versions. For
24 example in ghostscript-esp-8.15.3-r1 there is a new dependency on
25 app-text/djvu and mips, arm, s390 and sh do not keyword it. See bug
26 148945 too.
27
28 moving keywording only in the arch teams responsibility is the way to go
29 imo because I hate having keywording bugs assigned to my herd where I
30 can do nothing about it.
31
32 > I am not sure how a) is going to work at all in
33 > this respect. Are we going to get tons of ebuilds just sitting there never
34 > made visible to any arch now (since even x86 would have a large backlog)?
35
36 it can be automated to do this from the maintainer arch if the arch team
37 wants it.
38
39 -Stefan
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list