From: foser <foser@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please use land-misc herd where appropriate! No no-herd madness!!!
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 00:17:11
1 On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 17:16 -0400, Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > First thank you for your in depth explanation.
3 > Unfortunately I don't think we are any closer to being able to solve the
4 > problem of when an ebuild does not fit into any existing herds or when a
5 > maintainer is not apart of what would perhaps be a fitting herd.
6
7 Then an appropriate herd should be found or created.
8
9 > So I'd like to semi (un)officially like to propose a new herd called
10 > 'no-herd' in which either every dev automatically becomes apart of or
11 > that nobody is apart of. Said herd will not have a bugzilla email alias
12 > or a mailing list unless we have a maintainers motivated enough to
13 > actually want to get mail for no-herd. no-herd will have no lead and
14 > would simply become the official preferred placeholder for metadata.xml
15 > files till such time as a fitting herd is found, or if a fitting herd
16 > exists but a maintainer is not apart of the existing herd and or a dev
17 > does not want to be apart of a herd for the sake of an ebuild or two
18 > which (s)he can maintain better than an existing herd.
19
20 A maintainer does not need to be part of the (2nd) maintaining herd.
21 Only now when the maintainer disappears (it happens), there's always a
22 herd (group of devs) to fall back upon.
23
24 > As we saw on (I think) this mailing list not so long ago devs were
25 > assigning ebuilds to herds which they were not apart of and this caused
26 > problems for people of those herds.
27
28 Thats a mistake by those devs, you cannot assign something without
29 consent ever.
30
31 > Not having this placeholder herd in my minds would result in less
32 > metadata files being added to the tree or more devs declaring themselves
33 > as the herd.
34
35 Not adding metadata is against policy iirc & if it isn't it should be
36 against policy (someone write that down). Devs declaring themselves as
37 herd (!?) are breaking the format, this is really a matter of education.
38 I've never seen the latter though.
39
40 - foser