From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Ideas for a (fast) EAPI=3
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 12:33:50
1 On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 00:25:49 +0100
2 Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Uh, you *are* testing things that use a library before you stable
4 > > that library, right?
5 >
6 > When I was an architecture developer I tried to. But when
7 > stabilising a minor version of curl (for example), testing all
8 > reverse dependencies is no option. But this broke tests for Bazaar
9 > for example in stable.
10
11 Then this is a legitimate problem that someone needs to know about and
12 fix. So having src_test turned on globally is a *good* thing.
13
14 > Badly written Autoconf systems which will break in src_test() with a
15 > different version of intltool, which is not a direct dependency.
16
17 Again, finding this is good.
18
19 > That pitfall hit me several times in the last years. The more, x86
20 > e.g. ranges from embedded Geode platforms to dual core desktop
21 > systems and running the sqlite test suite on the first is no fun. As
22 > a user I would not accept two hours of build time. Test-driven
23 > development is great, but not so widely used as one could wish it to
24 > be.
25
26 And if you're on an especially slow platform, as a user you can turn
27 tests off.
30 Ciaran McCreesh