From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: remove sci-geosciences/googleearth from the tree
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 22:16:49
1 On 07/22/2013 12:07 AM, Duncan wrote:
2 > hasufell posted on Sun, 21 Jul 2013 17:22:24 +0200 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >> solution: Treeclean it and maintain it in an overlay (maybe
5 >> science-overlay). That's exactly what overlays are for... experimental
6 >> stuff.
7 >
8 > What's the pros/cons of overlay vs. in-tree-but-masked for something like
9 > this? In-tree-but-masked is at least available for those who want it,
10 > without having to load an overlay, but I don't see that discussed at all,
11 > here.
14 pros:
15 - consistency of tree quality
16 - less user confusion (the checksum failures alone get us a lot of bugs
17 every release without people realizing what it means...) and people
18 expect packages to work in the tree
19 - less bugs no one can do anything about
20 - easier contribution of users in an overlay, testing of hacks or other
21 stuff to make it work
22 - making clear that gentoo does not support software with such low QA
23 - making clear that this software is experimental
24
25 cons:
26 - users have to run "layman -a foo" ...I hope they will manage (and the
27 masking reason will be updated to explain where to look for googleearth
28 ebuilds)