From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: hwoarang@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Deprecating and killing the concept of herds
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 18:31:02
1 On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 21:21:24 +0100
2 Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 09/10/2014 03:01 PM, Tom Wijsman wrote:
5 > >
6 > > +1; to summarize my thoughts: Herds misrepresent manpower.
7 > >
8 > true and false.
9
10 More true than false.
11
12 > undertakers often remove dead herds.
13
14 How often? What is considered dead? How about semi-dead? How about the
15 misrepresented ones? Are metrics like commit and bug ratios considered?
16
17 Relevant: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/dev/258463
18
19 > And herds in need for more people should really make use of this wiki
20 > page
21 >
22 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Gentoo/Staffing_Needs
23
24 They do and don't.
25
26 Those that do, are drowned in a long list that rarely attracts new devs;
27 those that don't, don't have time for it as they are drowned in work.
28
29 The recruitment process is too lengthy compared to the amount of
30 people that can actively recruit new developers; as a result, this
31 contributes to the rarity of attracting new developers to that list.
32
33 This lengthy process is also unattractive to new recruiters; whom are
34 not kept in the loop when showing interest, eg. I've watched a few
35 sessions and then heard nothing (because there barely are recruiters?).
36
37 If we want to thrive, both the student and recruiter recruitment
38 processes need to be revised; at this moment, 13 students are in the
39 queue. Some of them have been waiting for weeks or months...
40
41 > how do you expect to get more people on board if you don't make it
42 > known where help is actually needed?
43
44 This acknowledges that the herds concept hides where help is needed;
45 but as revealed in the last paragraphs, that's not the only problem.