From: Jean-Francois Gagnon Laporte <kioshen@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gtk1 vs. gtk2
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 13:23:09
1 On 8/7/06, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > * Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o> schrieb:
3 > > You've already been told it's a non-issue, but here's why:
4 > >
5 > > http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/slotting/index.html
6 >
7 > Oh hell, this can't be serious !
8 >
9 Yes it is and it's been in use for a Long Time Now(tm). It's not quite
10 perfect but at least it's usable.
11
12 > It mixes up diffent things to one and just introduces new
13 > problems instead of solving anything. I could live with that,
14 > if it's for supporting different ABIs, but it obviously isn't.
15 >
16 > gtk1 and gtk2 are completely different packages, they're not
17 > compatible. So why should they be one package ? Just because
18 > they share some ideas and the name ?!
19 >
20 You might want to look at gcc, php, qt, apache and a couple of others
21 then. Dare I quote the devmanual :
22
23 "This is useful for libraries which may have changed interfaces
24 between versions — for example, the gtk+ package can install both
25 versions 1.2 and 2.6 in parallel."
26
27 > For example, there are lots of packages requiring gtk1, other
28 > gtk2. As long as dependencies don't cope the slot cleanly,
29 > slotting is utterly useless.
30 >
31 Ebuilds just have to depend upon =gtk-1.2* fex. Can I ask where did
32 you find a case where portage didn't handle it cleanly ? Also, file a
33 bug on it if possible ?
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list