From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gtk1 vs. gtk2
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 20:24:02
1 * Jean-Francois Gagnon Laporte <kioshen@×××××.com> schrieb:
2 > On 8/7/06, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de> wrote:
3 > >* Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o> schrieb:
4 > >> You've already been told it's a non-issue, but here's why:
5 > >>
6 > >> http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/slotting/index.html
7 > >
8 > >Oh hell, this can't be serious !
9 > >
10 > Yes it is and it's been in use for a Long Time Now(tm). It's not
11 > quite perfect but at least it's usable.
12
13 In the current case, it's nothing more than an ugly hack for
14 articially created non-problem. Just like the German Orthography
15 reform ;-P
16
17 <snip>
18
19 > "This is useful for libraries which may have changed interfaces
20 > between versions ? for example, the gtk+ package can install both
21 > versions 1.2 and 2.6 in parallel."
22
23 The assumption is wrong, gtk1 and gtk2 are incompatible versions
24 of one library. They are completely different libraries, where
25 one originally had been forked off the other one. Now they look
26 similar, but are in no ways equal.
27
28 <snip>
29
30 > >For example, there are lots of packages requiring gtk1, other
31 > >gtk2. As long as dependencies don't cope the slot cleanly,
32 > >slotting is utterly useless.
33 > >
34 > Ebuilds just have to depend upon =gtk-1.2* fex. Can I ask where
35 > did you find a case where portage didn't handle it cleanly ?
36
37 Great, we need multiple dimensions (slots, upper version limit)
38 to solve an artificial problem, which shouldn't exist at all.
39
40 > Also, file a bug on it if possible ?
41
42 Yes, I'll file a bug on the whole gtk issue and all packages
43 using this ugly hacks.
46 cu
47 --
49 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
51 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
52 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
53 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
54 http://patches.metux.de/
56 --
57 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list