From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Questions about SystemD and OpenRC
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 01:27:49
1 On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 4:05 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > The limited-visibility build feature discussed a week or so ago would
3 > go a long way in detecting unexpressed build dependencies.
4
5 I can't say that is a coincidence, but my intent would be to include
6 @system as implicit dependencies, at least until we change that policy
7 (though the morbidly curious could use that as a test in a tinderbox
8 to find packages in @system that are good candidates for removal).
9
10 I haven't gotten to test it, but after studying sandbox it shouldn't
11 be hard to just hack together a manual test by removing read access to
12 root from the config files and adding in a bazillion files. That
13 should at least let me profile performance/etc. I'm not convinced
14 that there isn't room for improvement, but if it works well as-is then
15 automating this shouldn't be hard at all. If portage has the
16 dependency tree in RAM then you just need to dump all the edb listings
17 for those packages plus @system and feed those into sandbox. That
18 just requires reading a bunch of text files and no searching, so it
19 should be pretty quick. As far as I can tell the relevant calls to
20 check for read access are already being made in sandbox already, and
21 obviously they aren't taking forever. We just have to see if the
22 search gets slow if the access list has tens of thousands of entries
23 (if it does, that is just a simple matter of optimization, but being
24 in-RAM I can't see how tens of thousands of entries is going to slow
25 down a modern CPU even if it is just an unsorted list).
26
27 Rich