From: Jeremy Huddleston <jeremyhu@××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] eselect-compiler updates and unmasking
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 22:42:56
1 Uhm, what is this all about? If you have suggestions, make them, but
2 don't come out of the gate in a huff talking about unsubstantiated
3 breakage. That's about the least constructive way to get heard.
4
5 The wrapper provided in gcc-config-2.0 provides the exact same
6 interface to the user as gcc-config-1.x, so how is that breaking
7 expected behavior? If anything, it's providing expected behavior to
8 users who want it and don't care about migrating over to eselect.
9 Additionally, If you check through the ChangeLog, you'll see that I
10 did actively worked on gcc-config-1.x last year prior to my starting
11 eselect-compiler. That's how I came to realize its limitations and
12 _need_ for replacement on multilib systems. A similar wrapper is
13 needed for binutils as has been discussed multiple times on
14 toolchain@, and at amd64 and ppc64 dev meetings on IRC.
15
16 Additionally, eselect-compiler has been discussed multiple times on
17 the toolchain and gentoo-dev lists over the past year (main threads
18 started 2005-08-09, 2005-09-17, 2005.10.02), and you didn't once
19 raise an objection until now. I'd say you missed the 10 month window
20 I gave you, but if you do have suggestions, I'd be more than happy to
21 hear them.
22
23 Even more so, I left eselect-compiler in package.mask for a _very_
24 long time as I didn't have much time to devote to its development
25 over the past school year. During that time, very few issues were
26 raised despite it being used by many testers and developers. This
27 past month, I worked out all but one of the known bugs (the one
28 remaining is just specific to the wine package on amd64) and got more
29 testers to give it a final beating before finally unmasking it. If
30 anything, this has been an extremely conservative development process
31 because of the nature of this package.
32
33 --Jeremy
34