From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving more hardening features to default?
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 12:42:31
1 2011/10/20 Tomáš Chvátal <scarabeus@g.o>:
2 > I would say that most hardened features should be merged to to main
3 > profile as soon as they won't cause major PITA for the regular users.
4
5 I agree - especially for stuff that doesn't require active setup
6 (stack protection, PaX, etc).
7
8 If there are features that we could turn on but for a few packages,
9 maybe the solution there is to discuss them on-list and target them
10 for future adoption and make an effort to fix the impacted ebuilds.
11 Fix could mean either making the package work with the hardened
12 feature, or disabling it just for that package (filter-flags, tag
13 binaries not to run with features, etc).
14
15 The hardened profile can still of course be the place where we push
16 the envelope at the cost of more packages being masked, and there will
17 always be things like MAC that represent a big change in how a system
18 is run that will take a long time to become mainstream.
19
20 Rich