From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: New "Accept Github contributions" metadata flag
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 20:28:08
1 Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Read: it's important to slap users to satisfy developer's wannabes.
3
4 LOL! Michał, you managed to squeeze both misrepresentation and ad hominem
5 into so few words. Please take care. Anyway, you missed my point:
6
7 It's important that (the project) developers set accurate expectations
8 for contributors.
11 Michał Górny wrote:
12 > If user puts effort to make a good contribution, the developer
13 > shouldn't be rejecting it to 'demonstrate other methods'.
14
15 Here you confused a couple of different things, maybe you didn't
16 understand what I meant.
17
18 "demonstrate other methods" is something that the Gentoo project does by
19 enabling choice also in the development process. This is made possible by
20 self-determined infrastructure in parallel with GitHub. This is important
21 and valuable both philosophically and practically, and I think Gentoo
22 should be both proud of it and also proud to present it.
23
24 "rejecting" would require an action, that's not the case; we're talking
25 about simply documenting which developers don't use GitHub, so that
26 contributions can know the right place to go.
27
28 Then there's your opinion that developers should do all that contributors
29 want. I disagree with that for two reasons:
30
31 1. it doesn't scale, and
32 2. developers too work in their spare time, and choose how they do so
35 > This is the horrible attitude that kills the project.
36
37 In general I think that individual lack of reflection is a far greater
38 problem than developer workflow choices within community projects.
39
40 For Gentoo specifically I think that a fairly small number of structures
41 are the main reason to rather spend time on other projects - that's off
42 topic for this thread though.
43
44 Assuming good faith and asking for clarification when something seems
45 negative is always a good idea.
48 //Peter