From: George Prowse <george.prowse@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Training points for users interested in helping out with ebuild development
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 22:17:34
1 Thilo Bangert wrote:
2 > to me, the above two contradictory viewpoints are the essence of the
3 > apparent and real decline in Gentoo activity. The two are just not
4 > compatible with each other and there is no clear guidance on to which of
5 > the two should be followed.
6 >
7 > in the one corner we have the 'Daniel Robbins' corner, which stands for an
8 > open and inclusive process, which favors new comers, wants fast progress
9 > regardsless of the technical limitations of that process. also, being nice
10 > is more important than being correct. one central repository is where all
11 > development should happen - this is were we came from.
12 >
13 > in the other corner is the gentoo leftover of the exherbo fork: the few
14 > people how continue to work on Gentoo but generally prefer the direction
15 > of Exherbo. technical elitism, explicitism and formal standardization are
16 > their trade. being correct is more important than good intentions.
17 > overlays or multiple repositories help achieve a hierarchy of not-good-to-
18 > supported ebuilds. we are halfway here...
21 > it would be good if we collectively could agree on some of these issues,
22 > in order to move forward. as with many of the other technical discussions
23 > which lead to nowhere, it's more important that there is a clear
24 > direction, than into which direction we are headed.
25 >
26 > maybe we need a debian project leader position - or a council, which is
27 > sensitive to the internal devide among developers and gives clear
28 > directions.
29 >
30 > if the above offends you, please take a walk before replying. it may sound
31 > inflammtory - its not meant to be.
32 >
33 > thanks
34 > Thilo
35 >
36 People have been trying to resolve the situation you described for a
37 long time. Working within it and minimising the negative effects of such
38 stark contrasts in views has been one of the challenges of Gentoo in
39 recent times. An equilibrium seems to have been reached which currently
40 works.
41
42 I doubt a figurehead would make any difference. They would need nerves
43 of steel and would have to not care about making unpopular decisions and
44 it would be difficult to take anyone from the current crop of
45 [excellent] developers because it seems that everyone has taken sides
46 already so immediately any decision was made an argument about bias
47 would be likely come up
48
49 G