From: David Shakaryan <omp@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The Dreaded herd tag
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 03:26:48
1 Alec Warner wrote:
2 > I request that this tag be made optional in the metadata.xml DTD.
3
4 ++
5
6 In my opinion, an empty tag or one with "no-herd" is rather silly when
7 the requirement for the tag can just be removed.
8
9 The alternative is, of course, requiring every package to belong to a
10 real herd. Although this is not impossible, it would be quite hard to
11 implement as quite a few packages do not really fit into any existing
12 category, as you mentioned in #-dev. Also, someone will have to go
13 through the ~2000 packages and figure out what herd they belong to,
14 which seems like a strenuous job.
15
16 I say the first is a much more feasible solution. I'll even be glad to
17 help in removing the herd tags for the affected ebuilds if this is the
18 path chosen.
19
20 I say we act on this now, as the further off we put it until, the more
21 metadata.xml files there will be to fix.
24 David Shakaryan
25 GnuPG Public Key: 0x4B8FE14B