From: "Harald van Dijk" <truedfx@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Default useflag cleanups: -apm -foomaticdb -fortran -imlib -motif -oss -xmms
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 18:12:31
1 On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 06:59:22PM +0200, Carsten Lohrke wrote:
2 > > Any comments/objections - any outdated useflags I forgot?
3 > > Have a look at /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2006.0/make.defaults
4 > > for the list of current default use flags.
5 >
6 > I think gtk2 should be finally removed¹ from all packages and from
7 > make.defaults as well, before the 2006.1 release. Maintainers, who explicitly
8 > want to allow building against using Gtk 1, should default their ebuilds to
9 > Gtk 2 and add a (local) gtk1 use flag instead.
10
11 No, the decision with the gtk/gtk2 USE flag mess was to have package
12 maintainers decide for each ebuild whether to support only gtk1 or only
13 gtk2, but not have support for both in a single ebuild. The decision
14 before that (and one with more support, IIRC) was to have one flag for
15 gtk1, and one flag for gtk2. But what you're proposing now is getting
16 back to the old mess, except defaulting to gtk2 instead of gtk1. That
17 not only doesn't fix anything, but even says that gtk1 support was
18 removed from a bunch of ebuilds for no benefit whatsoever. Please don't
19 do that.
20 --
21 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list