From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Live ebuilds management.
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 19:33:01
1 On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 20:22:16 +0100
2 Tomáš Chvátal <scarabeus@g.o> wrote:
3 > But in comment 4 user ask about updates itself. If we have live
4 > package and revision does not change it is pointless waste of
5 > resources to recompile it usualy.
6
7 Doing this properly is an awful lot of work and a lot trickier than
8 initially apparent. There was a discussion in #gentoo-council about it
9 after the last meeting; unfortunately I don't have logs.
10
11 I see the solution as being done in four parts, one after another:
12
13 * Proper ordering for live packages. This is GLEP 54.
14
15 * Allowing installed SCM ebuilds to identify the revision with which
16 they were built. This isn't overly difficult, once you get around
17 things like CVS not really having a revision.
18
19 * Allowing SCM ebuilds to identify upfront, and potentially at
20 --pretend time, with which revision they will be built. This is the
21 hard part, especially if you want to be able to background fetch them.
22
23 * Allowing user overrides of revisions in a controlled manner.
24
25 In terms of goals, [1] is what I'd consider to be an ideal list.
26
27 Unfortunately, given the difficulty of getting even the first item on
28 the list implemented, I don't see this going anywhere any time soon for
29 Gentoo...
30
31 [1]: http://lists.exherbo.org/pipermail/exherbo-dev/2009-March/000409.html
34 Ciaran McCreesh