From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Reinstating old-school GLEPs masterplan
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 20:57:00
1 W dniu pon, 11.09.2017 o godzinie 13∶29 -0400, użytkownik Michael
2 Orlitzky napisał:
3 > On 09/11/2017 01:08 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
4 > > Hi,
5 > >
6 > > TL;DR: I'd like to reinstate the old-school GLEPs in .rst files rather
7 > > than Wiki, put in a nice git repo.
10 > I generally agree with you that wiki markup is terrible and that a text
11 > editor and a git repo is The Right Way to do things (with Jekyll or
12 > whatever to push it to the web). But in my experience, crappy and easy
13 > is a better way to get people to contribute. When I've taken wiki
14 > documents and moved them into git repos, more often than not I become
15 > the sole contributor, and otherwise-technical people just start emailing
16 > me their contributions (which decrease greatly in frequency).
17
18 Rich already answered this in detail, so I'll skip it.
19
20 > Will it be possible to build the GLEP rst files locally, and view the
21 > output exactly as it would appear on the website? I ask because, so long
22 > as you don't want to be able to preview the result, you can already
23 > write MediaWiki markup into a text file locally. The offline "live
24 > preview" ability is the killer feature of RST as I see it.
25
26 Of course yes. However, the exactness of result depends on how much
27 effort you put into it.
28
29 The 'easy way' is rst2html.py (dev-python/docutils). It will give you
30 a rough rendering with a standard style, i.e. kinda ugly but enough to
31 see if everything works as expected. You'll also see the preamble as big
32 mumbo-jumbo on top.
33
34 Then, there's glep.py (dev-python/docutils-glep) which adds preamble
35 parsing, table of contents and some styling. AFAICS it needs a bit
36 handiwork (copying a stylesheet to a relative directory) but it gives
37 nice old-school rendering.
38
39 Then, you can just take www.gentoo.org and run it locally. It takes
40 a little more effort but jekyll is really trivial to set up and run
41 locally. Then you see it exactly how it's gonna look on g.o.
42
43 As a side note, we may also rename GLEPs to .rst. Then, GitHub will also
44 provide out-of-the-box rendering of them.
47 Best regards,
48 Michał Górny