From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: opinion on how to improve the website redesign
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 17:20:41
1 Mike Frysinger posted <20051122150331.GD2628@×××××××××××××.org>, excerpted
2 below, on Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:03:31 +0000:
3
4 > On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 08:09:44AM -0600, Lance Albertson wrote:
5 >>
6 >> They would need to coordinate with infra on how they would like to
7 >> implement a search function. For now, I think its best if they focus
8 >> their attention on the design and navigation and try to work on the
9 >> search box later.
10 >
11 > why does infra need to be involved ? cant we just have the form send
12 > users to google ?
13
14 Actually, that's useful in a couple ways. Not only is it easy to do, but
15 I'd guess there's a fair chance Google could be talked into some sort of
16 sponsorship, in exchange for a 'Search by Google", which at the same time
17 will serve as the disclosure of who it's piped thru. As someone (you?)
18 mentioned earlier, letting Google do all the hard work means it's both
19 easy implementation, and easy on our hardware since it's just passing thru
20 to Google. If we can finagle a box or two (or mirroring, hardware and
21 bandwidth and benefitting from their connectivity!, directly located at
22 two or more Google locations worldwide) out of the deal as well, that's
23 even better!
28 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
29 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list