From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 13:30:21
1 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Wrong. The reason everything is such a mess at the moment is precisely
4 > because we've accumulated so much "good enough" and "not thinking your
5 > cunning plan all the way through"
6
7 There *is* no perfect solution.
8 And the reason why everything is such a mess at the moment is
9 that portage's implementation of subslot dependencies was
10 broken (because it used a mechanism which has broken dynamic deps).
11
12 *This* is what needs to be fixed but which is perhaps not
13 easy to fix.
14
15 However, changing the policy in a manner causing so many
16 unnecessary ebuilds (and fixing not all problems either)
17 is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
18
19 When having the choice between only non-perfect solutions,
20 I vote for the one which keeps the distribution usable.