From: "Luis F. Araujo" <araujo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tentative x86 arch team glep
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 17:30:51
1 Mike Doty wrote:
2
4 > Hash: SHA1
5 >
6 > Luis F. Araujo wrote:
7 > | Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
8 > |
9 > |> On 5/9/2005 1:29:57, Ciaran McCreesh (ciaranm@g.o) wrote:
10 > |>
11 > |>
12 > |>> On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 1:12:54 +0200 "Kevin F. Quinn"
13 > <kevquinn@g.o>
14 > |>> wrote:
15 > |>> | 3) All packages need to be assigned an x86 arch team member
16 > |>> | responsible.
17 > |>>
18 > |>> Why?
19 > |>>
20 > |>
21 > |>
22 > |> Because if only the x86 arch team can mark stuff stable, anything
23 > |> without representation on the x86 arch team will stay unstable
24 > forever.
25 > |> Maybe rather than one specific arch team member, several would
26 > |> undertake to manage otherwise unassigned packages.
27 > |>
28 > |>
29 > | Well, but, assigning each ebuild an x86 arch member is not the same
30 > than
31 > | to have the package mantainer taking care of that? , i think the idea
32 > | with the arch team
33 > | is to centralize QA.
34 > |
35 > |>
36 > |>
37 > |>> | 6) I notice the amd64 team requre their arch testers to
38 > |>> | take the ebuild quiz; I think this is a bit harsh, as
39 > |>> | arch testers are regular users without commit access to
40 > |>> | CVS etc. A simpler quiz targetted at ensuring the arch
41 > |>> | testers know what is expected of them would lower the
42 > |>> | bar and should encourage more users to join in. Using
43 > |>> | the ebuild quiz means you get people who quickly become
44 > |>> | devs in their own right...
45 > |>>
46 > |>> The ebuild quiz isn't particularly difficult... If the proposed
47 > "write
48 > |>> an ebuild for equizapp" question goes through then maybe they
49 > could be
50 > |>> exempt from that until they need cvs access, but the main ebuild quiz
51 > |>> just tests basic understanding.
52 > |>>
53 > |>
54 > |>
55 > |> I guess it comes down to what you want a tester to do. In my mind, the
56 > |> task of a tester is to emerge the package normally, record the use
57 > flag
58 > |> configuration, and exercise the application as much as possible.
59 > |> Possibly
60 > |> repeating with other use flag configurations. If you want testers
61 > to do
62 > |> ebuild QA, then the ebuild quiz becomes relevant, but I don't think
63 > it's
64 > |> a good idea..
65 > |>
66 > |>
67 > |>
68 > |>
69 > | We could write a basic 'arch team' quiz?. It might be a slightly
70 > | modified version
71 > | of the ebuild quiz.If the arch team menber wanna be a Gentoo dev with
72 > | commit access he could
73 > | just take the ebuild quiz later.
74 > |
75 > | And if for example someone takes the ebuild quiz , he could be both a
76 > | dev and a arch team
77 > | member of course, in other words, the arch team quiz would be a
78 > sub-set of
79 > | the ebuild quiz targeted for arch teams.
80 >
81 > another example of confusion of what AT means. AT == archtester, not
82 > arch team.
85 Oh , i thought we were discussing about get an x86 arch team here.
86
87 But yes, the same would apply for the arch testers term too.
90 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list