From: Mike Doty <kingtaco@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tentative x86 arch team glep
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 17:09:21
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Luis F. Araujo wrote:
5 | Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
6 |
7 |> On 5/9/2005 1:29:57, Ciaran McCreesh (ciaranm@g.o) wrote:
8 |>
9 |>
10 |>> On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 1:12:54 +0200 "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
11 |>> wrote:
12 |>> | 3) All packages need to be assigned an x86 arch team member
13 |>> | responsible.
14 |>>
15 |>> Why?
16 |>>
17 |>
18 |>
19 |> Because if only the x86 arch team can mark stuff stable, anything
20 |> without representation on the x86 arch team will stay unstable forever.
21 |> Maybe rather than one specific arch team member, several would
22 |> undertake to manage otherwise unassigned packages.
23 |>
24 |>
25 | Well, but, assigning each ebuild an x86 arch member is not the same than
26 | to have the package mantainer taking care of that? , i think the idea
27 | with the arch team
28 | is to centralize QA.
29 |
30 |>
31 |>
32 |>> | 6) I notice the amd64 team requre their arch testers to
33 |>> | take the ebuild quiz; I think this is a bit harsh, as
34 |>> | arch testers are regular users without commit access to
35 |>> | CVS etc. A simpler quiz targetted at ensuring the arch
36 |>> | testers know what is expected of them would lower the
37 |>> | bar and should encourage more users to join in. Using
38 |>> | the ebuild quiz means you get people who quickly become
39 |>> | devs in their own right...
40 |>>
41 |>> The ebuild quiz isn't particularly difficult... If the proposed "write
42 |>> an ebuild for equizapp" question goes through then maybe they could be
43 |>> exempt from that until they need cvs access, but the main ebuild quiz
44 |>> just tests basic understanding.
45 |>>
46 |>
47 |>
48 |> I guess it comes down to what you want a tester to do. In my mind, the
49 |> task of a tester is to emerge the package normally, record the use flag
50 |> configuration, and exercise the application as much as possible.
51 |> Possibly
52 |> repeating with other use flag configurations. If you want testers to do
53 |> ebuild QA, then the ebuild quiz becomes relevant, but I don't think it's
54 |> a good idea..
55 |>
56 |>
57 |>
58 |>
59 | We could write a basic 'arch team' quiz?. It might be a slightly
60 | modified version
61 | of the ebuild quiz.If the arch team menber wanna be a Gentoo dev with
62 | commit access he could
63 | just take the ebuild quiz later.
64 |
65 | And if for example someone takes the ebuild quiz , he could be both a
66 | dev and a arch team
67 | member of course, in other words, the arch team quiz would be a sub-set of
68 | the ebuild quiz targeted for arch teams.
69
70 another example of confusion of what AT means. AT == archtester, not
71 arch team.
72
73 - --
75 Mike Doty kingtaco@g.o
76 Gentoo/AMD64 Strategic Lead PGP Key: 0xA797C7A7
77 Gentoo Developer Relations
78 ~ ===GPG Fingerprint===
79 ~ 0094 7F06 913E 78D6 F1BB 06BA D0AD D125 A797 C7A7
88 --
89 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list