From: "Luis F. Araujo" <araujo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tentative x86 arch team glep
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 17:04:51
1 Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
2
3 >On 5/9/2005 1:29:57, Ciaran McCreesh (ciaranm@g.o) wrote:
6 >>On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 1:12:54 +0200 "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
7 >>wrote:
8 >>| 3) All packages need to be assigned an x86 arch team member
9 >>| responsible.
10 >>
11 >>Why?
15 >Because if only the x86 arch team can mark stuff stable, anything
16 >without representation on the x86 arch team will stay unstable forever.
17 >Maybe rather than one specific arch team member, several would
18 >undertake to manage otherwise unassigned packages.
21 Well, but, assigning each ebuild an x86 arch member is not the same than
22 to have the package mantainer taking care of that? , i think the idea
23 with the arch team
24 is to centralize QA.
28 >>| 6) I notice the amd64 team requre their arch testers to
29 >>| take the ebuild quiz; I think this is a bit harsh, as
30 >>| arch testers are regular users without commit access to
31 >>| CVS etc. A simpler quiz targetted at ensuring the arch
32 >>| testers know what is expected of them would lower the
33 >>| bar and should encourage more users to join in. Using
34 >>| the ebuild quiz means you get people who quickly become
35 >>| devs in their own right...
36 >>
37 >>The ebuild quiz isn't particularly difficult... If the proposed "write
38 >>an ebuild for equizapp" question goes through then maybe they could be
39 >>exempt from that until they need cvs access, but the main ebuild quiz
40 >>just tests basic understanding.
44 >I guess it comes down to what you want a tester to do. In my mind, the
45 >task of a tester is to emerge the package normally, record the use flag
46 >configuration, and exercise the application as much as possible. Possibly
47 >repeating with other use flag configurations. If you want testers to do
48 >ebuild QA, then the ebuild quiz becomes relevant, but I don't think it's
49 >a good idea..
54 We could write a basic 'arch team' quiz?. It might be a slightly
55 modified version
56 of the ebuild quiz.If the arch team menber wanna be a Gentoo dev with
57 commit access he could
58 just take the ebuild quiz later.
59
60 And if for example someone takes the ebuild quiz , he could be both a
61 dev and a arch team
62 member of course, in other words, the arch team quiz would be a sub-set of
63 the ebuild quiz targeted for arch teams.
64 --
65 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list