From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tentative x86 arch team glep
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 07:48:57
1 On 5/9/2005 1:29:57, Ciaran McCreesh (ciaranm@g.o) wrote:
2 > On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 1:12:54 +0200 "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > | 3) All packages need to be assigned an x86 arch team member
5 > | responsible.
6 >
7 > Why?
8
9 Because if only the x86 arch team can mark stuff stable, anything
10 without representation on the x86 arch team will stay unstable forever.
11 Maybe rather than one specific arch team member, several would
12 undertake to manage otherwise unassigned packages.
13
14 > | 6) I notice the amd64 team requre their arch testers to
15 > | take the ebuild quiz; I think this is a bit harsh, as
16 > | arch testers are regular users without commit access to
17 > | CVS etc. A simpler quiz targetted at ensuring the arch
18 > | testers know what is expected of them would lower the
19 > | bar and should encourage more users to join in. Using
20 > | the ebuild quiz means you get people who quickly become
21 > | devs in their own right...
22 >
23 > The ebuild quiz isn't particularly difficult... If the proposed "write
24 > an ebuild for equizapp" question goes through then maybe they could be
25 > exempt from that until they need cvs access, but the main ebuild quiz
26 > just tests basic understanding.
27
28 Well, it strikes me that most if not all of the organisational questions
29 are not relevant to a tester; the only technical question that is
30 relevant is 9 (keyword marking), and even that would be reworded for the
31 tester perspective. The main point being that a tester can be a willing
32 user, with no dev capabilities at all; the ebuild quiz is written for a
33 different target group. In fact, it's useful if testers are not developers,
34 as devs often make assumptions without realising it.
35
36 I guess it comes down to what you want a tester to do. In my mind, the
37 task of a tester is to emerge the package normally, record the use flag
38 configuration, and exercise the application as much as possible. Possibly
39 repeating with other use flag configurations. If you want testers to do
40 ebuild QA, then the ebuild quiz becomes relevant, but I don't think it's
41 a good idea..
42
43 Kev.
46 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list