From: Jan Krueger <jk@×××××××××××.net>
To: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
Cc: azarah@g.o, Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>, Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] suggestion portage ebuild system file modification rights and protection
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 23:27:17
1 On Sunday 07 September 2003 20:35, Jon Portnoy wrote:
2 > What, that any situation involving installing software is going to have
3 > security holes? That's the nature of software installation.
4
5 The gift of portage is a new quality of automated software installation
6 system, easy to use, never seen before. This is good.
7
8 However by being a full automated software installation system portage has a
9 very high responsibilty for the integrity of the system it is run on.
10
11 The discussion should have shown you, that the current portage can not bear
12 this responsibility.
13
14 This thread showed and will continue to show:
15 ebuilds can overwrite any system file
16 ebuilds can wipe your box
17 ebuilds are affecting system integrity
18 ebuilds lack quality
19
20 Some of you think this can be addressed by:
21 qa
22 signing ebuilds and files
23
24 I say:
25 this is not sufficient.
26
27 Again examples from the actual tree, so you can try yourself:
28 1. emerge ezmlm and emerge ezmlm-idx
29 providing slightly different funtionality they will overwrite each other
30 (instead of blocking each other)
31
32 2. emerge heartbeat (sys-cluster/heartbeat-1.0.3-r1, marked x86, so considered
33 stable)
34 If your emerge was successfull (it will be as long as you dont have snmp
35 installed), try to get it running! You wont! Then take a look at
36 bugs.gentoo.org since when important fixes are available.
37
38 This two examples clearly show what the current qa is worth. (Well i respect
39 it very much, but its not perfect and never will be, thats qa, qa you for
40 sure know from other software/hardware products you use and used before, you
41 know the deficencies of qa then)
42 I am pretty sure you can post examples from the tree yourself.
43
44 And to me its clear why it is like that (at least on reason):
45 If you compare the number of ebuilds to the number of CVS committers than you
46 will see, that it is impossible for each CVS-commiter to make a valuable
47 statement of the quality of the software and/or ebuild he/she is going to
48 commit. There are to many ebuilds.
49
50 (i see this as an organizational deficiency of gentoo)
51 So it is probable that faulty ebuilds hit the tree. They are there actually.
52
53 Conclusion for me:
54 I expect faulty ebuilds. they are there. (you will never wipe them out until
55 you change the organization of gentoo development to a more apropriate model,
56 and even then, you can only reduce the amount of faulty ebuilds. ebuilds are
57 software, software has bugs.)
58
59 and therefore:
60 i hold portage responsible to protect my system from faulty ebuilds as much as
61 it can.
62 if not portage, who else? there is just me left, but then, i dont need
63 portage.
64
65 I made several suggestions how portage can be improved to protect the system
66 it is run on.
67 -prevent ebuilds from modifying the life filesystem
68 -allow the actual package install process only to add files to the filesystem
69 or to only modify/remove files that belong to an revision of the same ebuild
70 (qa would benefit from this suggestions too.)
71 This would result in:
72 -enforced package integrity
73 -wiping my box from within the ebuild is no longer possible
74 Please implement the suggestions.
75
76 Do you understand me?
77
78 If still not, i will remind you of former times, when bootblock virii have
79 been very successfull. Why do you think they have been successfull and are no
80 longer?
81 Answer: Because it was possible to modify the bootblock.
82
83 It is possible for an ebuild to wipe your box.
84
85 So doesnt this scare you now?
86
87 Jan