From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: Jan Krueger <jk@×××××××××××.net>
Cc: azarah@g.o, Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>, Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] suggestion portage ebuild system file modification rights and protection
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 20:35:50
1 On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 10:34:06PM +0000, Jan Krueger wrote:
2 > On Sunday 07 September 2003 19:56, Jon Portnoy wrote:
3 > > The vulnerability at that point is compromised keys, which is why we
4 > > would have an uberkey so we can revoke developer keys as soon as
5 > > possible. It's not foolproof, but it's a whole lot better.
6 > I agree.
7 > But thats no excuse to not fix the security/consitency faults in portage that
8 > showed up in this discussion.
11 What, that any situation involving installing software is going to have
12 security holes? That's the nature of software installation.
13
14 > You never know ...
15 >
16 > It may already be to late for thousends of users until someone of gentoo-core
17 > uses the ueberkey, especially in holiday seasons.
18 >
19 > Or has core, especially in key questions, an availablity of 24/7?
20
21 We have enough managers who do this nearly full-time (including myself
22 most of the time), and we share phone numbers (and cell phone numbers),
23 so it's fairly unlikely.
26 > > There is no such thing as perfect security short of shutting down your
27 > > computer.
28 > Yes, you never know...
29 > Thats why i would prefer a secure transport layer for emerge, you know?
30 >
31 > Jan
32
33 A secure transport layer is unnecessary if we're using GPG signing,
34 which has always been the intent - but seems to have stalled.
37 Jon Portnoy
38 avenj/irc.freenode.net
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list