From: Jan Krueger <jk@×××××××××××.net>
To: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
Cc: azarah@g.o, Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>, Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] suggestion portage ebuild system file modification rights and protection
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 20:28:43
1 On Sunday 07 September 2003 19:56, Jon Portnoy wrote:
2 > The vulnerability at that point is compromised keys, which is why we
3 > would have an uberkey so we can revoke developer keys as soon as
4 > possible. It's not foolproof, but it's a whole lot better.
5 I agree.
6 But thats no excuse to not fix the security/consitency faults in portage that
7 showed up in this discussion.
8
9 You never know ...
10
11 It may already be to late for thousends of users until someone of gentoo-core
12 uses the ueberkey, especially in holiday seasons.
13
14 Or has core, especially in key questions, an availablity of 24/7?
15
16 > There is no such thing as perfect security short of shutting down your
17 > computer.
18 Yes, you never know...
19 Thats why i would prefer a secure transport layer for emerge, you know?
20
21 Jan
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list