From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] manpages that requires dependencies
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 18:56:37
1 On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 12:46:54PM +0200, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 > >On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 00:49:23 +0100 "Diego 'Flameeyes' Petten??"
4 > ><flameeyes@g.o> wrote:
5 > >| Hi everybody, a little question that I'd like to be answered (so that
6 > >| we can make it a sort of rule).
7 > >| How should manpages that are generated be managed?
8 > >|
9 > >| The common sense and looking to other ebuilds would say to always
10 > >| build man pages, but when it asks me to install something like
11 > >| docbook-sgml-utils, I'm tempted not to do that ;)
12 > >
13 > >man pages can't be considered optional (despite what RMS says). They're
14 > >not fancy extra HTML API documentation, they're core, so they don't get
15 > >a USE flag.
16 > >
17 > >Of course, if FEATURES were in the USE expand list, you could use
18 > >! features_noman ? ( ) ...
19 >
20 > Except that no{man,info,doc} are on the to-die list anyway.
21
22 which doesnt make much sense when they can actually be pretty useful
23 in controlling DEPEND and/or steps in src functions which take quite a
24 long time to complete
25 -mike
26 --
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list