From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] repo/gentoo:master commit in: eclass/
Date: Sun, 15 May 2016 10:47:52
1 On 05/14/2016 01:23 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 3:21 PM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
3 >> On 14/05/16 18:52, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>> On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 1:07 PM, landis blackwell
5 >>> <blackwelllandis@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>>> No fun allowed
7 >>>>
8 >>> Are you saying that you don't want people to have fun developing
9 >>> Gentoo? Or are you trying to say that it is impossible to have fun
10 >>> developing Gentoo without insulting strangers? I don't think anybody
11 >>> minds two friends teasing each other.
12 >>>
13 >> I think my gut feeling would go "there's a time and a place..." .. and
14 >> err on the g-dev ML probably not being it .. unless everyone else is in
15 >> on the 'joke' ..
18 > Sure, and just to be clear I don't think we should be bothered by
19 > informality and joking around. If you have a good relationship with
20 > somebody and poking at each other is just how you relate, you can get
21 > away with it. We shouldn't have to walk on eggshells, but it just
22 > seems like we get a lot of flames in general going around and IMO at
23 > least it seems like it makes the distro a bit less fun.
24 >
25 > Of course we shouldn't lower our standards for quality, and I suspect
26 > that most of the people who do commit mistakes to the tree would
27 > probably agree, at least when they're sober. :)
30 I agree. Some of us have reputations for being hard to work with or
31 being misunderstood, and it would go a long way for us to try to be
32 honest and -- for lack of a better word -- nicer. I've not personally
33 experienced much of that, but I can understand why someone wouldn't want
34 to work with (on a volunteer basis, of course) someone calling them
35 stupid or incompetent.
36
37 Mistakes happen and I gladly fix anything I've screwed up. I could have
38 taken some of the criticism personally due to the tone, however, if I
39 hadn't been 'seasoned' by the Internet to expect the worst.
40
41 That said, I like that those of us who are close can joke. We're all
42 volunteers, so why not have fun *while* we build what we think is the
43 ideal distro? I don't think quality and fun are mutually exclusive.
44
45 "at least when they're sober" -- I had a hearty laugh at that one. :)
48 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
49 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
50 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6