From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP ??: Critical News Reporting
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 22:19:11
1 On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 22:57:13 +0100 Jan Kundrát <jkt@g.o> wrote:
2 | On Tuesday 01 of November 2005 19:25 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 | > On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 17:22:29 +0100 Jan Kundrát <jkt@g.o>
4 | > wrote:
5 | > | What's wrong with XML format similar to the one that is used for
6 | > | our GLSAs?
7 | >
8 | > 1. Portage does not handle XML. Portage will not handle XML in the
9 | > near future.
10 |
11 | How will it handle GLSAs then? [1]
12
13 gentoolkit != portage.
14
15 | > 5. XML is merely adding another problem to the one we have already.
16 |
17 | Could you please explain?
18
19 Parsing XML is complicated. Writing XML is complicated. I put together
20 a complete working client that can show news items in the plain text
21 format proposed -- it took me fifteen minutes to write. I threw
22 together a script which can be called after a cron sync that mails news
23 items to root in under a minute. There is no way this could be done if
24 XML were being used -- any task involving news items would be a major
25 chore.
26
27 | > There is no XML in this GLEP for the same reasons that there is no
28 | > Java, CORBA, EJBs, web services, on demand computing initiatives or
29 | > invisible pink unicorns.
30 |
31 | I'm not sure if our GLSAs use PHP, ODBC, ASP, SOAP, computer grids or
32 | invisible pink unicorns while I'm pretty sure they do use XML.
33
34 And? Why repeat previous mistakes?
35
36 | > I have an eselect module which can read these news files. The whole
37 | > thing is about the same size as the DTD would need to be for an
38 | > XML-based solution. I have a parser written for the format in
39 | > question. The whole thing is smaller than the initialisation code
40 | > for an off the shelf XML parser.
41 |
42 | Great. Why haven't you just used existing code from `glsa-check`, BTW?
43
44 Because merely figuring out the XML DTD takes longer than it does to
45 write an entire client for plain text news items.
46
47 | > It's not a question of "what's wrong with XML?". It's a question of
48 | > "what advantage would we gain by strapping a giant flapping wet
49 | > kipper to a bicycle?".
50 |
51 | Or (a little bit rephrased) "why should we stick with consistent file
52 | formats".
53
54 Uh, you'd have to invent a load of new XML DTD stuff for this anyway.
55 So you're not using a consistent file format at all, you're just using
56 a consistent unnecessary layer in the middle, which as a side effect
57 makes your files incompatible with every standard Unix tool ever
58 written.
59
60 Using XML does not magically make things compatible. XML is just a
61 layer in the middle. Any tool processing XML files still has to worry
62 about however the DTD in question works.
63
64 You think XML magically makes things compatible? Then I suggest you
65 write a GuieXML to Docbook conversion tool, and see how many thousand
66 lines of XSLT it takes. All XML does is move the conversion and parsing
67 problems to a different, more complex level.
70 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
71 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
72 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm