From: "Jan Kundrát" <jkt@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP ??: Critical News Reporting
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 21:59:48
1 On Tuesday 01 of November 2005 19:25 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 17:22:29 +0100 Jan Kundrát <jkt@g.o> wrote:
3 > | What's wrong with XML format similar to the one that is used for our
4 > | GLSAs?
5 >
6 > 1. Portage does not handle XML. Portage will not handle XML in the
7 > near future.
8
9 How will it handle GLSAs then? [1]
10
11 > 5. XML is merely adding another problem to the one we have already.
12
13 Could you please explain?
14
15 > There is no XML in this GLEP for the same reasons that there is no
16 > Java, CORBA, EJBs, web services, on demand computing initiatives or
17 > invisible pink unicorns.
18
19 I'm not sure if our GLSAs use PHP, ODBC, ASP, SOAP, computer grids or
20 invisible pink unicorns while I'm pretty sure they do use XML.
21
22 > I have an eselect module which can read these news files. The whole
23 > thing is about the same size as the DTD would need to be for an
24 > XML-based solution. I have a parser written for the format in question.
25 > The whole thing is smaller than the initialisation code for an off the
26 > shelf XML parser.
27
28 Great. Why haven't you just used existing code from `glsa-check`, BTW?
29
30 > It's not a question of "what's wrong with XML?". It's a question of
31 > "what advantage would we gain by strapping a giant flapping wet kipper
32 > to a bicycle?".
33
34 Or (a little bit rephrased) "why should we stick with consistent file
35 formats".
36
37 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/glsa-integration.xml
38
39 Cheers,
40 -jkt
43 cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth