From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP ??: Critical News Reporting
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 18:30:41
1 On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 17:22:29 +0100 Jan Kundrát <jkt@g.o> wrote:
2 | What's wrong with XML format similar to the one that is used for our
3 | GLSAs?
4
5 1. Portage does not handle XML. Portage will not handle XML in the
6 near future.
7
8 2. Many users do not have an XML parser installed.
9
10 3. The standard Unix tools cannot be used on XML files.
11
12 4. Bloat.
13
14 5. XML is merely adding another problem to the one we have already.
15
16 There is no XML in this GLEP for the same reasons that there is no
17 Java, CORBA, EJBs, web services, on demand computing initiatives or
18 invisible pink unicorns.
19
20 I have an eselect module which can read these news files. The whole
21 thing is about the same size as the DTD would need to be for an
22 XML-based solution. I have a parser written for the format in question.
23 The whole thing is smaller than the initialisation code for an off the
24 shelf XML parser.
25
26 It's not a question of "what's wrong with XML?". It's a question of
27 "what advantage would we gain by strapping a giant flapping wet kipper
28 to a bicycle?".
31 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
32 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
33 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm