From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>, Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] My masterplan for git migration (+ looking for infra to test it)
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 18:56:38
1 Luca Barbato:
2 > On 15/09/14 01:21, Patrick Lauer wrote:
3 >> On Sunday 14 September 2014 15:42:15 hasufell wrote:
4 >>> Patrick Lauer:
5 >>>>> Are we going to disallow merge commits and ask devs to rebase local
6 >>>>> changes in order to keep the history "clean"?
7 >>>>
8 >>>> Is that going to be sane with our commit frequency?
9 >>>
10 >>> You have to merge or rebase anyway in case of a push conflict, so the
11 >>> only difference is the method and the effect on the history.
12 >>>
13 >>> Currently... CVS allows you to run repoman on an outdated tree and push
14 >>> broken ebuilds with repoman being happy. Git will not allow this.
15 >>
16 >> iow, git doesn't allow people to work on more than one item at a time?
17 >
18 > It does.
21 I think we really have to write up a step-by-step guide (not just
22 workflow policies) for people who have never seriously worked with git.
23
24 On the other hand... there are thousands of tutorials on the net already.
25
26 For the workflow model, I already have created a draft which is in no
27 way finished or even correct and there are still some controversially
28 discussed issues.
29 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_git_workflow