From: Daniel Campbell <contact@××××××××.us>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] My masterplan for git migration (+ looking for infra to test it)
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 04:02:03
1 On 09/16/2014 01:56 PM, hasufell wrote:
2 > Luca Barbato:
3 >> On 15/09/14 01:21, Patrick Lauer wrote:
4 >>> On Sunday 14 September 2014 15:42:15 hasufell wrote:
5 >>>> Patrick Lauer:
6 >>>>>> Are we going to disallow merge commits and ask devs to rebase local
7 >>>>>> changes in order to keep the history "clean"?
8 >>>>>
9 >>>>> Is that going to be sane with our commit frequency?
10 >>>>
11 >>>> You have to merge or rebase anyway in case of a push conflict, so the
12 >>>> only difference is the method and the effect on the history.
13 >>>>
14 >>>> Currently... CVS allows you to run repoman on an outdated tree and push
15 >>>> broken ebuilds with repoman being happy. Git will not allow this.
16 >>>
17 >>> iow, git doesn't allow people to work on more than one item at a time?
18 >>
19 >> It does.
22 > I think we really have to write up a step-by-step guide (not just
23 > workflow policies) for people who have never seriously worked with git.
24 >
25 > On the other hand... there are thousands of tutorials on the net already.
26 >
27 > For the workflow model, I already have created a draft which is in no
28 > way finished or even correct and there are still some controversially
29 > discussed issues.
30 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_git_workflow
31 >
32 As a prospective Gentoo developer, having a guide around meant
33 specifically for Gentoo's practices would be incredibly helpful. I use
34 git in my own hobby development and learned from Pro Git, et al, but
35 it'd still be really nice to have, and give developers a place to
36 point to if a new developer is having troubles.
37
38 Just my 2¢.