From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo git step by step guide
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 15:29:01
1 Daniel Campbell:
2 > As a prospective Gentoo developer, having a guide around meant
3 > specifically for Gentoo's practices would be incredibly helpful. I use
4 > git in my own hobby development and learned from Pro Git, et al, but
5 > it'd still be really nice to have, and give developers a place to
6 > point to if a new developer is having troubles.
7 >
8 > Just my 2ยข.
11 First draft and only the basic ebuild workflow.
12
13 1. do the work (including removing files)
14
15 2. run 'repoman manifest'
16
17 3. stage files via 'git add <files>' (including removed ones)
18
19 4. run 'repoman full' and check for errors
20 => if errors occur, fix them and continue from point 2
21
22 5. commit files via 'repoman commit -m "<message>"'
23
24 6. push to the dev repository via 'git push origin master'
25 => if updates were rejected because of non-fast-forward push, try 'git
26 pull --rebase=preserve origin master' first, then run 'repoman full' and
27 continue from point 6.
28
29 NOTE: you may skip running repoman another time if you have manually
30 verified that the commits you are missing are totally unrelated to your
31 work (e.g. only affect a package that is not in the dependency chain of
32 yours). You can do so via: 'git diff $(git merge-base master
33 remotes/origin/master) remotes/origin/master'
34
35 ==> if 'git pull --rebase=preserve origin master' fails or yields
36 complicated conflicts, continue with a regular merge (you might have to
37 abort the rebase via 'git rebase --abort' first): 'git merge
38 remotes/origin/master'
39
40 ===> if merge conflicts occur, fix them via 'git mergetool' and continue
41 from point 2.
42
43 ===> if no merge conflicts occur, run 'repoman full' and continue from
44 point 6.
47 TODO: guide for merging user pull requests