From: Robert Buchholz <rbu@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Sebastian Pipping <webmaster@××××××××.org>, PackageKit users and developers list <packagekit@×××××××××××××××××.org>
Subject: Re: [packagekit] [gentoo-dev] Inviting you to project "PackageMap"
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 13:52:15
1 On Saturday 13 June 2009, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
2 > One of the stronger points for collaborating at the source is that
3 > poeple who are not Gentoo devs (yet) and therefore have no write
4 > access to the Gentoo tree can still extend and fix the Gentoo
5 > packagemap entries. Doing it downstream would hurt the whole project
6 > in several ways.
7
8 To drive the project forward and find cross-distro acceptance, the
9 packagemap repo/server has to be the authorative source of information
10 for distributions that participate.
11
12 However, I see advantages in a distributed model to collect the
13 information. Gentoo developers could feed <cpe> tags into the
14 metadata.xml of the tree and do not need to sign up to commit to the
15 third-party packagemap repository. Synchronizing changed tags to the
16 packagemap repository should be easy to automate. Changes in the
17 repository could be propagated back to the tree by a designated team of
18 Gentoo developers interested in the packagemap project.
19
20 I have a feeling other distributions might also favor a model where they
21 have more control about the data without giving all their devs access
22 to one big repo.
25 Robert