From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: New category proposal
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 14:30:32
1 Martin Schlemmer posted <1115715727.25756.8.camel@×××××××××.lan>,
2 excerpted below, on Tue, 10 May 2005 11:02:07 +0200:
3
4 > Problem with flat tree, is the search times might then suck even more, as
5 > last I heard, too many dirs/files in one directory have a huge speed
6 > penalty.
7
8 Yeah, sure, for ext2/3, but all those small files would suck big time in
9 ext2/3 anyway. Reiserfs doesn't have either issue, and should be perfect
10 for portage trees, even for those who still think the reliability isn't
11 there (I've been /very/ happy with it here, since the data=ordered
12 default went into the kernel for reiserfs, even when I had defective
13 memory and was hard-locking fairly frequently due to that), because
14 portage trees are a simple sync away from replacing anything lost.
15
16 I never remember which one it is, but either jfs or xfs has packed files
17 as a feature as well, IIRC, so the small file sizes works, altho I believe
18 it'd still have issues with high file-count dirs.
23 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
24 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list