From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Facilitating user contributed ebuilds (Was: [gentoo-dev] The future of the Sunrise project)
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2016 10:38:27
1 On 06/10/2016 09:05 AM, Alec Ten Harmsel wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 04:20:06PM +0100, M. J. Everitt wrote:
3 >> (2) any user can edit wiki pages not governed by Projects. Even Project
4 >> pages I'm sure could be updated by means of patches submitted to the
5 >> appropriate team, with some basic follow-up to ensure action.
6 >
7 > Only users with a wiki account. The gentoo wiki/handbook et. al. are
8 > great, but I personally really do not like editing wikis in general.
9 > When I see a clarification or improvement that I could make in gentoo's
10 > docs, I remember that I'd have to:
11 >
12 > * get a wiki account
13 > * use a dumb web editor and (probably) HTML to make a change instead of vim
14
15 I edit the wiki every now and then, and use a great extension for
16 Firefox called "It's All Text" which allows you to use any program to
17 edit the text in <textarea> elements. It makes editing much better for
18 me. I'm not sure if Chromium has anything equivalent, but it's something.
19
20 > * get it approved somehow
21 >
22 > All my enthusiasm vanishes at that point. If gentoo's wiki/docs were,
23 > say, a bunch of markdown files in a git repo somewhere, I would be much
24 > more willing to clone the repo, make a change, and send in a patch. A
25 > wiki and handbook could be auto-generated from this, of course. From an
26 > infra standpoint, this is also simpler than maintaining a wiki.
27 >
28 >> (3) until some enthusiastic sponsors come forward to host/maintain these
29 >> systems, I don't think its fair to overburden the already stretched
30 >> Infra guys (no offence, guys! you're doin a great job).
31 >
32 > Agree. Gentoo is fantastic.
33 >
34 > Alec
39 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
40 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
41 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6