From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Facilitating user contributed ebuilds (Was: [gentoo-dev] The future of the Sunrise project)
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 16:05:26
1 On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 04:20:06PM +0100, M. J. Everitt wrote:
2 > (2) any user can edit wiki pages not governed by Projects. Even Project
3 > pages I'm sure could be updated by means of patches submitted to the
4 > appropriate team, with some basic follow-up to ensure action.
5
6 Only users with a wiki account. The gentoo wiki/handbook et. al. are
7 great, but I personally really do not like editing wikis in general.
8 When I see a clarification or improvement that I could make in gentoo's
9 docs, I remember that I'd have to:
10
11 * get a wiki account
12 * use a dumb web editor and (probably) HTML to make a change instead of vim
13 * get it approved somehow
14
15 All my enthusiasm vanishes at that point. If gentoo's wiki/docs were,
16 say, a bunch of markdown files in a git repo somewhere, I would be much
17 more willing to clone the repo, make a change, and send in a patch. A
18 wiki and handbook could be auto-generated from this, of course. From an
19 infra standpoint, this is also simpler than maintaining a wiki.
20
21 > (3) until some enthusiastic sponsors come forward to host/maintain these
22 > systems, I don't think its fair to overburden the already stretched
23 > Infra guys (no offence, guys! you're doin a great job).
24
25 Agree. Gentoo is fantastic.
26
27 Alec