From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Facilitating user contributed ebuilds (Was: [gentoo-dev] The future of the Sunrise project)
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 15:20:21
1 On 10/06/16 17:16, james wrote:
2 > <snip>
3 > And this effort needs a documentation collection to support users,
4 > post installation to their target (ideal stage-4?) collection of
5 > packages; many of which they maintain themselves even if a strong-user
6 > or dev
7 > helps them assimilate those final packages. Then they can use stage-4
8 > snapshots for periodic backups on complete systems. or for quick
9 > installs of new systems. (that would super-charge my cluster dev work)!
12 > It just seems to me that we have all of that now, but it is::
13 > 1) not organized
14 > 2) needs documentation so folks do not have to use irc to ask the same
15 > questions over and over and over again (gentoo wiki is maturing in
16 > this direction too, imho.
17 > 3) needs (desires) gentoo managed repos, not github
18 >
19 > For now, we can use github for users. A glep or 2 can solved 1 and
20 > (2), well I was politely turned down, so suggestions on documentation
21 > to achieve this? Data-mining of emails and irc could easily provide
22 > the first-draft of the docs for need (2).
26 > James
27 >
28 (2) any user can edit wiki pages not governed by Projects. Even Project
29 pages I'm sure could be updated by means of patches submitted to the
30 appropriate team, with some basic follow-up to ensure action.
31
32 (3) until some enthusiastic sponsors come forward to host/maintain these
33 systems, I don't think its fair to overburden the already stretched
34 Infra guys (no offence, guys! you're doin a great job).
35
36 MJE