From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFD] Adopt-a-package, proxy-maintenance, and other musings
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 12:37:10
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 01/18/2016 09:44 PM, NP-Hardass wrote:
5 > With all of the unclaimed herds and unclaimed packages within them,
6 > I started to wonder what will happen after the GLEP 67 transition
7 > finally comes to fruition. This left me with some concerns and I
8 > was wondering what the community thinks about them, and some
9 > possible solutions.
10 >
11 > There is a large number of packages from unclaimed herds that, at
12 > this time, look like they will not be claimed by developers. This
13 > will likely result in a huge increase in maintainer-needed packages
14 > (and subsequent package rot). This isn't to say that some of
15 > these packages weren't previously in a "maintainer-needed" like
16 > state, but now, they will explicitly be there.
17 >
18 > A possible approach to reducing this is to adopt some new
19 > policies.
20 >
21 > The first of which is an "adopt-a-package" type program. In
22 > functionality, this is no different than proxy-maintenance,
23 > however, this codifies it into an explicit policy whereby users are
24 > encouraged to step and take over a package. This obviously
25 > requires a greater developer presence in the proxy-maint project
26 > (or something similar), but, personally, I think that a stronger
27 > dev presence in proxy-maint would be better for Gentoo as a whole.
28 >
29 > The second policy change would be that maintainer-needed packages
30 > can have updates by anyone while maintaining the standard "you fix
31 > it if you break it" policy. This would extend to users as well.
32 > With the increased ease that users can contribute via git/github,
33 > they should be encouraged to contribute and have their efforts
34 > facilitated to ease contributions to whatever packages they desire
35 > (within the maintainer-needed category).
36 >
37 > Similar to the concept of a "bugday," coupled with above, an
38 > "ebuildday" where users and devs get together so users can learn
39 > to write ebuilds and for devs to work together to maintain packages
40 > that usually fall outside their normal workload could prove
41 > beneficial to the overall health of Gentoo packaging.
42 >
43 > Once again, these are just some random musings inspired by recent
44 > events on the dev ML, and thought it might be worth discussing.
45 > I've cc'd proxy-maint as a lot of this discussion is likely to
46 > involve them, and would like them to put in their official opinion
47 > as well.
51 I like the idea behind this, but as others have already indicated,
52 there are some potential downfalls or redundancies. I think the
53 biggest problem here is, to my knowledge we don't have a way to see
54 how popular packages are. We don't know where to direct effort in the
55 tree without bugs or complaints over IRC/fora/ML. To get that
56 information we would need either volunteers or to violate our users'
57 privacy, which I'm not in favor of.
58
59 So we have maintainer-needed and proxy-maint, which from what I can
60 tell is a good gateway to becoming a developer. We could bring more
61 attention to that, but not without some support from other developers
62 who have an eye for spotting people who would be an asset to Gentoo.
63
64 As mgorny said, it does no good for us to assign dead packages to a
65 group of developers that won't give them the attention they deserve. I
66 know I'm guilty of it.
67
68 For better or worse, that's the nature of volunteer work. Users need
69 to know that Gentoo's tree is only as rich as the time and effort that
70 can go into it. We all have limitations on our time and energy, and if
71 nobody's interested or capable enough to maintain packages, then it
72 only makes sense to let them sit until someone comes along and either
73 takes the package or treecleans it. Last rites exist to ensure that
74 anybody who might care about a package will step up. They get 30 days,
75 iirc. I think that's plenty of time.
76
77 Since the tree's in git now, a user or would-be developer who wants to
78 revive a package still has something to work with. They'll just have
79 to fetch it from history, update it, and submit a PR or New-ebuild bug.
80
81 I guess what I'm saying here is I like your idea. I just don't think
82 we have the manpower or the interest among our users to make a big
83 dent. We should maybe put a *little* more attention on proxy-maint, if
84 they're okay with that, and let the community speak for themselves. If
85 packages die, it's because no developer wants to or can maintain it
86 and nobody in the community wanted to step up. Those that care can put
87 them into an overlay or step up and contribute.
88
89 My apologies if I'm coming off harsh. I don't mean to; it's just the
90 way FOSS development works imo.
91 - --
92 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
93 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
94 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6