From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Reverted python3.4 defaults
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 17:01:25
1 On 7/19/15 12:42 PM, Ben de Groot wrote:
2 > On 20 July 2015 at 00:03, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
3 >> If there are no objections, I would like to enable python3.4 by
4 >> default on Saturday, July 25. That means making the following change:
5 >>
6 >> profiles/base/make.defaults:
7 >> PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_4"
8 > I would like to note that we only have around 50 packages that require
9 > python3, while the majority requires python2, and the remainder will
10 > function with either. For this reason it seems to make more sense to
11 > me to only set PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" as default, and leave adding
12 > any python3_* targets to the user. This will also debloat our stage3
13 > tarballs.
14 >
15 What are those 50 packages, if you have the list handy? Its not the
16 number but their impact. Some of the stuff I do requires python3 and
17 while it would be possible to live with python2 only in the stages, it
18 would require more bootstrapping work on my part. I suspect others may
19 be in the same situation.
20
21 In fact, I'm looking forward to python3.4 because it cleans up some
22 stuff wrt to os.makedirs() and similar minutiae. So I'm all for the
23 july 25 date.
26 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
27 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
28 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
29 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
30 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA